In the initial stage of its transformation, the Old Candler Hospital Complex took on a new identity as the Savannah Law School, a branch of Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School. Renovations of the facility occurred in a multi-phased project. The first phase of the project, completed in November 2012, included the full renovation of the 1955 brick wing facing Drayton Street. The renovation included the full replacement of all building systems and the exterior envelope. The project was designed to meet the Federal Historic Tax Credit program, so the new interior configuration had to be respectful of the original building plan and finishes. Classroom and office spaces had to be creatively integrated in order to meet the Federal guidelines.
In 2019, the Savannah College of Art and Design purchased the property and incorporated the complex into its campus as a cutting-edge digital design, research, and innovation studio. The Deloitte Foundry also houses the college’s Admissions office.